Monday, June 4, 2007

Assessing the damage

I lost:
One (1) credit card
One (1) ATM card
One (1) California driver's license
One (1) Northwestern Wildcard student ID
One (1) health insurance card
<$20 in US cash
~1 week's worth of spending money in Mexican pesos
a rent check I wrote for Ben that I was going to give him here (we're living together next year)

I still have:
my passport
a checkbook
about a week's worth of money in $US
a cell phone

The cards have been cancelled, I'll replace my DL when I get back home, and the loss of the rest of the contents is an inconvenience but not an emergency. I still have the means to prove my citizenship, obtain money through the checkbook (the University here has an American account), and survive until said money transaction clears.

By noon tomorrow I should have some money, and we can all laugh at my American traveller's stupidity. Until then, you may shower me with all the pity you wish.

1 comment:

temporarily unemployed said...

Dude, very sorry to hear about your pocket getting picked. Getting robbed sucks. I've had my car stereo stolen, twice.

Don't let it get you down, though. Aside from the cash that you lost, all of that other stuff sounds easily replaceable. And you've still got your passport, so if it comes to it, you won't have to crawl under any fences to get back home.

If I were you, and I were in Mexico and needed a pick-me-up, I'd treat myself to some nachos. Seriously.

Buck up, man. And keep plugging on the blog. It's sweet.

-MJL