Friday, June 8, 2007

Gelo. Mai nem is Maicl. Wat is yur nem?

Last night over dinner I had a long conversation with Vicky, our maid. Domestic service is common in Mexico; I believe all our host families have someone to help cook and clean the house. A casual chat about ourselves and our families and homes developed into descriptions of major US and Mexican cities, climates, and subcultures. I haven't spent much time in Mexico other than tourist traps, and Vicky has never been outside of DF or Oaxaca, her birthplace. Soon we began Vicky's first English lesson. My limited knowledge of linguistics prevented me from adequately explaining phrases like "where are you from?" and "pleased to meet you." I had just as much difficulty teaching English in Spanish as Vicky did learning it. Finally, we came up with the idea of spelling things phonetically in Spanish, as in the title of this entry. This helped a lot. I'm not going to say the typical "English is such a stupid language" because I do adore it, but man is it difficult to teach from scratch.

In other news, one of us was robbed again, this time on the subway. Only 100 pesos (<$10US), but still. I may have to start taping money to my torso.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good day ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching as far as something that meticulous model. The prices as regards the sneakers were approximately 310 bucks everwhere. But for all I set this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that exact model. The prices as regards the shoes are approximately 170 pounds everwhere. But finally I base this site selling them for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order those. what can you say about it?