Monday, June 11, 2007

New Roommate

Caley arrived this weekend. We share a room. Our beds are about 24 inches from each other. It's pretty sweet.

Actually though, it isn't so bad; so far we've gotten along really well. He knows the city and the language better than any of us and he's enthusiastic about hanging out with us. He also reads before bed, which has gotten me to start reading myself. I brought along books, after all...I just neglected to unpack them until now. So I've started the Kite Runner, which from what I hear is about as cheerful as Brothers Karamazov, the novel I finally finished in May.

Let's see...more about Mexico. I've been surprised to discover just how expensive things are in DF. Most things are around 80-120% of their US price. Some things (like prepaid cell phone credit) are much more expensive, while others (alcohol and public transportation) are much cheaper. Since my *ahem* donation to the Federal District of Mexico last week, I've been much more careful to only bring as much money out as I think I'll spend. So far, I have rarely overestimated and in fact have often come up short. So: travelers beware!

Speaking of said donation, some guy found my wallet and is asking money for it. He rejected an initial offer of $10 US. Considering the bank cards are cancelled, I would much rather go through the hassle of replacing my IDs than meet this guy somewhere in the city. So, he can keep it.

As a parting note: I finally caved and ate the street food, against some people's advice and following others'. My stomach said yes, but my large intestine said no. But more recently, I tried it again with minimal consequences. Take that, food-borne bacteria! I'm immune against your ass!

1 comment:

Katie said...

"Take that, food-borne bacteria! I'm immune against your ass!"

Surely it's *your* ass that's immune against the bacteria ;)