Saturday, June 2, 2007

¡Ya he llegado!

Hello from Mexico DF! After a rather abrupt parting at customs, I am now with my host family and I can only imagine Sirisha is with hers, somewhere within a 15 mile radius from here. Two other Northwestern students, Ben and Adam, will arrive in the city tonight, and Caley and Shaina will arrive next weekend. Caley and I have the same host family and will share a room; the others will be scattered about the vicinity, hopefully within walking distance. The university being 8 miles from here, I don't know how realistic that expectation is, however.

My family seems very nice. Everyone seems to speak English better than I can speak Spanish, which is comforting for now but once we've fulfilled our initial curiosities about one another I hope we will speak exclusively in Spanish. This will be a lot easier when Caley arrives, since he is more fluent. The 23 year old son in law school is talkative and friendly, the father is retired (although I forget what he did before), and the mother is on the executive board of the Mexico Philharmonic. She is a music educator as well, and the house has a beautifully aged full sized Steinway grand. Their dog, Tango, has absolutely no inhibition and apparently loves guests. The house is old but cozy, and gets a lot of light through its large windows and glass ceiling. I think I am going to enjoy living here.

Some pictures of the house:
The glass ceiling












Yes, that is a tree growing in the stairway.












The red kitchen

No comments: